Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wednesday September 29, 2011: Dishing Begins

Last night, Don provided me with a circular piece of mild steel he had handy, and I got out some draft paper to measure the thing out. Today we got to work on it. The first technique is called “dishing” or “sinking”, and uses a steel block with variously shaped holes and indents as templates for sinking. I sank the boss of the buckler about 1 ½ inches from the disc using a nylon mallet. Don showed me the basics, and Tom Emerson popped into the shop to show me proper hammer technique. Shortly afterward Don said he was impressed by what a neat boss I made in 45 minutes. I was flattered. He said we’re ahead of schedule, considering the first attempt went so well. So far so good, it seems we’ll start the handle earlier than I would have guessed. Tom recommends bringing out the boss a little more.




No comments:

Post a Comment