Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tuesday October 25, 2011: Handle Continues

Don’s dog is sick, so I haven’t seen him. Today I worked the handle from 7:30-9:10, chatting with a nice fellow named Sam who’s forging some Tanto blades. We shared the use of Nina. I roughly finished the handle, only to realize that I’d forgotten to shorten the length before bending off the other end. It now overshot the width of the boss. I decided to make the bend rounded instead, and slope inward until both sides went straight where the boss begins. Sam pointed out I should use the horn of the anvil to get rounded shapes. I got one end just right, but the other’s still giving me trouble and is still unfinished. I’m beginning to realize that round shapes are much harder to measure and keep from twisting the whole piece. I guess my next session will require many corrections.


No comments:

Post a Comment