Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sunday September 25, 2011: Concept and Plans for a Buckler

Tonight I discussed the design of the buckler with my writing tutor, Hampshire alum Anthony Holley. I talked about the evolution of the buckler alongside that of the larger shield, how in the 14th century they began to be made of steel, and how the buckler was a more widely used and practical weapon than most people—myself included—had previously realized. I decided to base my design on one particular example held by combat historian Mike Loades on his television show “Weapons that Made Britain”. It is a simple flat disc of metal with rolled edges, a handle, a central boss, and ten nice lines in low relief radiating from the center. I thought the appropriate size would be 12-14 inches: less than that and it would be less protective, more than that and it would be less handy and portable.

I am supposed to write a short story about medieval Europe involving these things I am creating. What I’ve considered is what sort of buckler-wielder would make a good main character for my story. I had already decided he should be a footman in one of the major European armies. I considered hundred years war because I’m somewhat familiar with it. I ultimately decided he doesn’t have to be English, because that’s overdone. I have the opportunity to do something a bit different so I thought, “what about Flanders?” The county of Flanders fought on the side of the English during the Hundred-Years War, and on one occasion called “the battle of the golden spurs” they massacred an army of French knights. It’s a very famous and interesting battle that isn’t much heard of here in America by the general public, so I think it’s settled. The Battle of Courtrai will be my subject, and my character will be a middle-class Flemish Burgher levied to fight with sword and buckler.

“A c.1305 image from Flanders of the battle Courtrai portrays numerous maile-clad helmeted Flemish militiamen on foot with bucklers, but no larger shields are shown.”

I will have to research:

  • How are shields and bucklers related?
  • How did the form and role of the buckler evolve?
  • What was its effect on combat, strategy, and war?
  • Who owned bucklers, and what makes one buckler different from another?
  • Who taught sword and buckler, or how did young men teach themselves?
  • What was the social environment in which buckler use grew?
  • What did they cost to buy, and how fancy were they?
  • How did the materials change over time?
  • How were they wielded?

Tonight I took some measurements with a ruler, paper plates, and paper to see what the right proportions probably were. I decided then on 12-14 inches. I also told Anthony what I’d read on the ARMA.com from its essay on bucklers, which talked about its battlefield role.

For general reading we decided on some books I own, including A Distant Mirror, The Middle Ages, and Europe in the High Middle Ages. I will get Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction, which came recommended by Tom, and whatever resources I can get on medieval battles, soldiers, and the lives of Flemish Burghers. Also I will study the buckler techniques in my Christian Tobler translation of the Ringeck fechtbuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment