Thursday, January 19, 2012

wrapped, riveted, and ready to go.

At last! As I write this the whole buckler is finished already, but this installment will summarize how I made and stuck on the handle. This condenses maybe two seperate days of work into one go. These photos recap how after several trials and errors of forging I made a strip of metal that I liked, and then belt-sanded it until it was smooth and shiny. With Don's help I drilled holes and cut rivets.


Next I made a wooden core using a round dowel of wood which was conveniently available. There's reason to believe it's birch wood. I used files and the belt sander to get it in an ergonomic shape. Next I glued up the groove in the wood and fitted it onto the steel.

Next it was time to give it a leather wrap, for traction and aesthetics. I was caught off guard because I had no leather to use, but it came to pass that Don discovered some pig-skin leather. At first I thought it was a silly idea to use pink-colored leather, but Don pointed out it was the only material we had and that I couldn't be too picky. I had to admit that it's material properties were perfect, so after a little tutorial by Don I wrapped it round the handle. We used regular wood glue, stretching the skin and doing a little at a time. When it was done I trimmed and folded the ends, using wire to secure it. I ended up keeping the wire on the handle as a bit of decoration. 




The time for riveting was upon us. We set up a 'thingy' in the vise with a groove in which the head of each rivet would sit. After we had cut the rivets to the right shortness, we peened the other end of each rivet until each was nice and snug. After that I had a finished buckler, so I gave the dish a big more sanding and a nice coat of spindle oil to preserve it against rust. Unfortunately I made an ill-advised attempt to brush the underside with the wire brush of the bench grinder, so a bit of pigskin on one side of the handle got scratched. No big problem, just a shame. 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment